Friday, April 29, 2011

The Simple Life

A few years ago, several Amish families moved into our community. They are friendly, hard-working people and I enjoy having them here. Often I hear the clip-clop of the horse's hooves on the road outside my home as they pass by. It's a comforting sound.

Yesterday was a grueling day in the office in my home. I was behind on everything, plus I had to set up a new account for a month's worth of work. The computer wouldn't cooperate and I couldn't figure out how to set up a certain part of the invoice in Excel. By 3:30 I was exhausted and ready to call it quits. My neck hurt and my eyes were weary. At that moment I heard the familiar rhythm of an Amish buggy coming down the road.

"Life would be so much simpler," I thought.
Back to basics. Do the work, get paid for it. No computers, invoices, or excel. I could be sewing right now instead of giving myself a headache over not taking that class on Excel when I had the chance.

It's tempting. No fuel prices to worry about....
But then again, no electricity, no hot shower to soothe my aching muscles, no indoor plumbing (Brrrr), and no blog sisters to read each day.

There are pros and cons to everything.
I turned on my electric teapot, made myself a cup of hot tea and relaxed.

No comments: