Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Quiet Sunday Afternoon

The phone is unplugged, hubby napping in the recliner, Christmas lights sparkling in the window, Runaway Bride on TV, and my address book before me - my Sunday afternoon as I worked on Christmas cards.

I know some are giving up this tradition but I am not willing to do so. Nothing fancy but inside many, will be tucked a personal letter. It may be the only time of year we connect.

Here are a few examples:

A grade school friend living in Colorado, who tracked me down several years ago. She is not a computer person and we may only write a couple times a year, Christmas being one of them. She will tuck in a picture of her horses .

The family we met camping in Bar Harbor probably 10 years ago. They live in Switzerland. Every year I recieve a card with pictures of their family and I send one in return.

A friend who lives in my home state but 4 hours away. We can't seem to get together personally so once a year we catch up with our letter inside the Christmas card.

My cards are written, some sealed, others awaiting the handwritten letter I will place lovingly inside for one more year.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Too funny that we were thinking about the same thing, but there's no doubt...writing, sending cards using postal mail vs. email -- there is just something warm and personal about it that I know I would miss if I didn't have it/do it. Here's to keep the art of "the pen" alive!