Sunday, August 9, 2009

Legacy

Over the years, I have felt a certain sadness about the traditions I see left behind in this busy world. I used to bake all my own bread, garden and can, sew, make cookies, etc. My homemade sugar cookies and fudge are a Christmas tradition. There are weightier spiritual matters like prayer and Bibles studies with other women that no longer seem to fit into overloaded schedules. Within our changing world, women carry heavier burdens and many good things have gone by the wayside.
My granddaughter encouraged me this summer. She wanted to learn to sew. I actually thought it would be frustrating for the generation whose fingers fly in texting and various electronic devices. I was pleasantly surprised. She enjoyed it and spent several days practicing straight stitch, zigzag, making pockets and learning the basics. Perhaps all is not lost.
In this struggling economy, there has been much talk about getting back to the basics. I love my ipod and laptop as well as the next gal, but there is something to be said for the feel of the material gliding through my fingers as it takes a new shape or the smell of fresh baked bread permeating the house. It's that sense of creating something from scratch. I guess there are all kinds of ways to do that. I'm just happy that for a few moments another generation experienced a bit of legacy from a simpler time.

1 comment:

alteredpink said...

Love this picture, hope that we can continue the tradition here!